Meristem is currently seeking 1 member starting April 1st, 2015 for the lease year ending July 31st, 2015. Applications are now being accepted for the August 1st, 2015-July 31st, 2016 lease year.
- New location in the Vine Neighborhood at 926 S Rose.
- Houses 6 members with 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms
- We buy food together, with an emphasis on local, organic, and nutritious food. We prepare house dinners five nights a week with vegetarian, vegan, or gluten-free options.
- Access to courtyard area with community gardens, compost bin, benches, grill at next door Houston Place Apartments, which are also operated by KCH.
- Many new energy efficiency renovations including new high efficiency furnaces, new high efficiency water heater, new windows, and more
- Common dining room and living room with a piano!
- Off-street parking
- Wireless high-speed internet
- Laundry facilities
- Quiet hours begin at 10pm every night
- Access to collective goodies like books, piano, art supplies, office supplies, tools
- Near Metro Transit bus system
- Very close to downtown Kalamazoo
- Members have access to scholarship money for conferences and training
Membership at Meristem is open to everyone. Here's the process:
- Tour the house
- Submit an Online Application
- Come to an interview with current house members
We strive to be an inclusive community that welcomes all, regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, or spirituality. Together, we work toward dismantling oppression in our lives and communities.
- $420 - $480 per month, depending on the size of the room. Includes lease, utilities, food, maintenance, and common supplies.
- One-time refundable security deposit equal to one months rent
- Contracts at Meristem run from August 1 - July 31
What to expect when you live at Meristem
- Good food! Staple foods are available to members for all meals. The house doesn’t buy meat collectively, but members may purchase whatever personal food they like.
- A cooperative community in which all members are collectively responsible for the well-being of the house
- Collective, consensus decision-making
- Collective, civil conflict resolution
- Group budgeting and financial decisions
- Always working to reducing our “ecological footprint” – reducing waste, efficient use of resources, reducing dependence on nonrenewable resources, creating a healthy and nontoxic living environment
- Sharing skills and knowledge that help us become self-sufficient (ex: gardening, cooking, repair and maintenance, etc.)
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from co-op members around the country through organizations like North American Students of Cooperation
- An emphasis on affordable living
- A friendly and fun atmosphere
Responsibilities of members
Meristem members are committed to regular duties that are listed below. New members should expect to devote 6 hours per week to a combination of these responsibilities:
- Prompt payment of monthly charges
- House meetings every other week
- Cooking dinner
- Cleaning and chores
- Administrative tasks such as purchasing or event planning
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or come to one of our events to chat! Or submit an online application if you'd like to apply at: Meristem's Online Application